Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Mission Ramadhan - "First Things First"


Tomorrow will be the first day of Ramadhan for 1431. I still remember the routines I had with Mak and my little sister when I was 5 years old. We would watch Arabic movie in the afternoon, that revolves around Prophet Muhammad PBUH.

Last night, I accompanied Mak watching "Flag of Truth" over Astro Oasis. It started with a scene filled with people crying - that depicts their heartfelt sorrow on the passing of Prophet Muhammad PBUH. Not a day has passed when 2 crooked individuals announced to their tribes that they are the new Prophet and with the demise of Prophet Muhammad PBUH, they told them that Islam was also buried with him. Not a day has passed that they changed Islam to their wimps and fancies. While those whose hearts are crying, these crooked men spell bounded their people. I

I just couldn't help to stop those tears from flowing, listening to Abu Bakar As-Siddiq (Abu Bakar The Truthful), giving his first speech as the first of four Khalifah Ar-Rashidun (the righteously guided caliph):


"I have been given the authority over you, and I am not the best of you. If I do well, help me; and if I do wrong, set me right.

Sincere regard for truth is loyalty and disregard for truth is treachery.

The weak amongst you shall be strong with me until I have secured his rights, if God will; and the strong amongst you shall be weak with me until I have wrested from him the rights of others, if God will.

Obey me so long as I obey God and His Messenger (Muhammad, PBUH). But if I disobey God and His Messenger, ye owe me no obedience.

Arise for your prayer, God have mercy upon you"


I cried because we have too many leaders who are lost in their power and position that they forget they have the right to be corrected by people who have elected them for they are, after all, humans. We have too many leaders that, instead of asking their people to do good deeds, have done so many wrongs to stay in power and they have the guts to ask us to accept such wrongs as acceptable. We have too many leaders who use the helps of Satan and its ilks to remain in power, instead of asking for guidance and help from God Almighty.

Ramadhan is upon us. May we take time to read Al-Quran - the best medicine for all the illnesses we have.

May we take time to do first things first.

p.s. First Things First - Pak Busu told me that he will lend me Khalid Baig's "First Things First: For Inquiring Minds and Yearning Hearts". I hope I could read it after Ramadhan. Khalid Baig is an engineer by profession, however he is also an Islamic scholar and editor of the Al-Balagh online journal. He contribute his writings to explaining Islam in palatable ways to many. He wrote "The Meaning of Ramadhan" and many more writings that have kept my mind inquiring and my heart yearning. Praise to God for such comforting words.

1 comment:

ian yusof said...

selamat berpuasa, and maaf zahir & batin