Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Mission Ramadhan 18 - Hate For All The Right Reasons


"I Hate It.." By James Martindale

I have enjoyed our on-line discussion in recent weeks, although I am sorry that it took such tragic events to initiate our conversation. I thought perhaps you would be interested in other points of view that some people are expressing. The following was written by my brother Jamie:

I absolutely hate what these terrorists have done, and not just for the obvious reasons. I hate it, hate it, hate it in so many ways! Premeditated violence against random people is absolutely odious. There is no way to justify it, ever. And, what I hate almost as much is what these acts have also done to our national psyche. One day of tragedy is spreading out into weeks of anger, resentment, fear, bluster and righteousness.

I hate that a climate of conservative militarism has been spawned across the USA.

I hate that citizens now seem willing to swap civil liberties for the illusion of control.

I hate that diatribes against pacifism, forgiveness, "liberals," historical context, balance, empathy, and tolerance are now racing around the internet.

I hate that anyone who questions authority, embraces multiculturalism, or seeks to reduce military spending now has his/her patriotism questioned.

I hate that any show of patriotic spirit is now in fashion, whether well-thought out or blindly chauvanistic.

I hate that we are now apparently negotiating away our support for human rights around the world in exchange for promised support of planned counterattacks.

I hate that our interest in rooting out deeper causes of hatred seems to have faded.

I hate that other vital issues like poverty relief, educational quality, health care reform, civil rights, and alternative energy now are pushed to the back burner.

I hate that hatemongers like Jerry Falwell and others are using this series of events as an excuse for bigotry and oppression.

And I hate to hear myself using the word "hate" so much.


"As I walk through this wicked world
Searching for light in the darkness of insanity
I ask myself 'Is all hope lost?
Is there only pain and hatred and misery?'
But each time I feel like this inside
There's one thing I want to know
What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?"
~ Nick Lowe (and Elvis Costello)

No comments: