Thursday, August 5, 2010

Ma, Pa, I'm Old Enough


Ma
Remember when I first came into your life
Remember when you broke the news to Pa
With tears in your eyes
With prayers in your mouth
With overwhelming hopes in your heart
Fingers entwined
Ma and Pa now you are

Ma
Remember when I gave you those little kicks
While you were waiting for Pa after work
Sitting on the bench overlooking Baskin n Robbins?
I wanted you to know that you were not alone
To have a scoop or two chocolate mint ice cream
While you reading through those pages of yet another book Pa couldn’t find time to read
While Pa driving through the traffic so both of you could get me a little cot

Ma
Remember when people asked you to close your eyes
So I won’t have to see how bad, sad and dangerous the world out there
When pristine land and its people had to make way for a mega dam
When a little boy walked with his hands in that welfare house
When a little girl asked for a penny or two by the road side
When a policeman chased yet another Anti-ISA Vigil crowd
When another young man was found dead in the lock-up
When another group of animals were badly treated and kept in the zoo
When Pa had to climb up the Black Maria on his way to the Police Station while he fought for sanity and sanctity of this country
I did remember I suck my thumb really hard, trying to pacify myself
Telling myself I won’t make you cry
When I grow up, I will make this world a better place

Ma
Remember when I was too quiet in your warm womb
That you almost forgot you have a wobbling, expanding tummy
While you cook up those dishes for Pa
After putting your laundry in the washer
After writing a piece or two off your forever-tinkering mind
After another long day at work, in your world
I thought you don’t have to coax me
To be a well behaved one
So you could still be a Superwoman

Ma
I would always remember
During those kicking, thumb sucking and quiet moments in your tummy
I have learned to learn, listen and reason
From those emotions you felt
From those words you uttered
From those steps you took
From those actions you made
That I shall I come into your world
With hopes and responsibility
With a clear identity of humanity and humanity alone
To love and to hold
Everything that is dear and sincere
Though with tears, never with fear
For fear is only for God alone

Ma
Thank you for believing in me
A little soul residing in your womb
Is old enough to learn from you





Last Saturday, I watched an interesting Nippon TV Series “I’m Old Enough”, about 2 pairs of little children (one is just 2 years old) running errands for their loved for the first time. Amazingly touching, these sweetie pies took their given tasks seriously, taking cues from their surrounding, even when their shin bled carrying heavy bags.


"The essence of our effort to see that every child has a chance must be to assure each an equal opportunity, not to become equal, but to become different - to realize whatever unique potential of body, mind and spirit he or she possesses" ~ John Fischer

Instinctively, Mak and I had an enlightening talk about children – how they were when they were still in the womb makes who they are today. Our children’s life script has been written while they are in their mother’s womb. Most parents think they should focus on development of their baby’s intellectual quotient and most of the time, they disregard the fact that they too should pay attention to emotional and spiritual growth of their little bundle of joy.

While we think they learn from those books we read, those music we make them to listen, it’s highly probable that they learn more from their parents’ actions and emotions – thanks to their powerful senses God has given them.

So, it is not surprising to see someone of good ‘breed’ could turn out to be a cold-hearted, hot-blooded, inconsiderate moron because they spent 9 months and 10 days in such a hostile environment that the parents hurling offensive words, taking from others what is not theirs, lying through their teeth and being cruel to others.

Truth enough to that Japanese series I watched and will take time to watch every Saturday evening on TV3, I could hear them saying, “I’m old enough”.

"We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget that he is someone today" ~ Stacia Tauscher

2 comments:

uglypooh said...

oh my....I love this series very much.
I amaze on how they persuade their child n give them courage to do things by their onwself.

p/s : org jepun mmg bersemangat

Zara said...

I enjoy reading the poem. Beautifully written! Children must grow to be responsible , and should their skills be well developed to enjoy life's best opportunities. =)