Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Don't trust anyone in a tie


I found myself reading an article published in Newsweek Nov 24 2008 publication, which featured Mr. Nassim Nicholas Taleb, a Greek Orthodox trader turned philosopher, in “The Last Word” titled “Don’t trust anyone in a tie”.

It’s an interesting opinion. He advises that “we better learn to benefit from the fact the markets are manic-depressive, that we should stop taking advice from anyone in a tie (because they will bankrupt you) like don’t ask a general for advice on war and don’t ask a broker for advice on money”. Besides, “the world needs fewer economists in general as he believes in psychology, not economics”.

I came across a joke in Reader’s Digest saying that economists are the ones that tell you what went wrong with today’s economy, tomorrow.

I have to agree with that and it is rather sentimental issue to me because when I applied for PSD scholarship, I put psychology as my first option but sadly, I didn’t get it (blame it on PSD’s misleading foresight). You can be a great boss, team player or whatever you want to be if you have EQ, not just IQ for numbers and stats. Those without compassion and conscience are real disasters.

Ops, did I say he doesn’t trust bankers? ;) Check Newsweek’s “The World’s Worst Banker” for more glee pleasure.

No comments: