Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Let's Do Well for Well Being


“You know it's love when all you want is that person to be happy, even if you're not part of their happiness” ~ Julia Roberts


I pen this as my marah sequel to my earlier post "Home Is Home, Be It Ever So Humble". Geram la.
If only DBKL and its Federal Territories and Urban Well-Being Ministry could have such feelings for the residents of ever-growing squatters that have to move from their home sweet home under Urban Resettlement Plan, life would be a bliss for these people who have to part with not only their homes, but also with their heritage, their sense of belonging and the society they have grown affectionately into.

A few months before, a colleague of mine commended how good looking the Well-Being Minister is. Err. I asked her with my favourite sarcastic question, “So?”.

So, what if he’s bloody good looking with cheeky smile? Would he work bloody well as his looks? Would his heart be as good as his look too?

So far, he has come up with well-being-my-foot preposterous plans.

The resettlement exercise is ill-planned (Gee, after all these years, they never seem to look outside their tempurung thinking cap that there is in fact many guidelines on resettlement, for instance like this one from Internatial Finance Corporation (“IFC”)).



“Good plans shape good decisions. That's why good planning helps to make elusive dreams come true”



The shopowners in Keramat Old Market were asked to move out from their premises as new development has been planned on their piece of land last week. The funny bit about this whole shenanigan is that the newly built ‘Gajah Putih’ aka Keramat Mall is still empty as the traders, who lease the shoplots, decided not to move into this ‘Gajah Putih’. In order to solve this problem at their end (I mean at those greedy people who wanted to lay their hands on this prime land), the minister will dump in RM15.0 Million to build another building where these traders would eventually have to move. Hmm. This tactic sounds familiar to me.

Like many malaysians, DBKL and the ministry that carries the title “Well Being” are just concerned about their well being and cosmetic well being of this badly planned city. They would rather spend and spend more money on fixed and perishable assets instead of making life better and easier for the citizens, especially the less fortunate ones.

So, where do these complains of mine lead me to? They will bring me back to earth (ouch!) and tempt me to knock the head of those voters who have put inhumane MPs and ADUNs as their mouthpiece, really damn hard.


“Dreams, ideas, and plans not only are an escape, they give me purpose, a reason to hang on”


Or, perhaps I could try YB Tian Chua’s tactic – bite them where it hurts the most – and my well wishes and prayers to him for showing up during the negotiation between Kampung Tanah Lapang villagers and DBKL. Hope, he could lend these people some YB assistance and guide them especially in legal matters.

p.s. On a personal front, I, too concur with what Julia Robert says. Love is indeed not a possession to be hold but a feeling to be shared and treasured, with or without that person we love. Love is indeed selfless.
p.s.s. Powerwalk anyone? This heart is so ladened with emotions, these eyes are so full with tears. I need to walk them out from my system.

No comments: