Monday, September 28, 2009

Can You Erase This Part of My Memories, Please?


Things happen for reasons, i always believe and i do hope they are for good, noble reasons.

So I read TIME's "Kate Winslet's Moment" this morning, which later brought me to her list of films, which include "Eternal Sunshine on Spotless Mind", which title derives from 1717's "Eloisa to Abelard" tragic love poem that explains why we love who we love.

The film is about Joel, an emotional withdrawn guy, who is stunned to discover that his dysfunctional free-spirited girlfriend, Clementine, has had their tumultuous relationship erased from her mind - thanks to Lacuna Inc. Out of desperation, he contacted the inventor of the process to get the same treatment. However, as his memories of Clementine begin to fade away, he suddenly realises how much he loves her.

In Pope's poem, Eloisa is in anguish over the powerful, sexual feelings she still has for AbĂ©lard, especially in her dreams, and by the realization that, Pope is now a eunuch — something he regards as a mercy that freed him from the "contagion of carnal impurity" — he could not return her feelings even if he wanted to. And so she begs, not for forgiveness, but for forgetfulness.
No, fly me, fly me, far as pole from pole;

Rise Alps between us! and whole oceans roll!

Ah, come not, write not, think not once of me,

Nor share one pang of all I felt for thee.

..........................

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!

The world forgetting, by the world forgot.

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!

Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd...

I do have certain parts of my memories i wish i could erase. Could you help me find my Lacuna Inc., please?


2 comments:

Malaysian Heart said...

We all have bad memories, as well as the good ones. We probably learn more valuable lessons from the bad ones than the good.

Our memories, whether bad or good, are a part of who we are. The thing to do is to come to terms with them and make the best of it.

The Serenity Prayer:
God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

Fi-sha said...

Dear MH

Some memories are best deleted for they may haunt us, for no apparent reasons.

Some good memories, just like in the instance of this movie, could hurt us too...