Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Right Up!


During Raya trip balik kampong, I met one interesting character, Z – a guy who works as Bilal at my kampung’s great looking mosque – and after a good chat with him over me preparing for that night’s BBQ, he spilled interesting stories about why he is there.

That particular mosque is indeed a great looking historical building after restoration works completed a few years back. However, such glorious sight does not jive with the real purpose of it being built in the first place. The imam is hardly commanding the jemaah as he is busy fishing udang galah and taking care of his handsome stable of cows. His son, who is hired as one of the Bilals to the mosque, is hardly in during subuh prayer (he is only seen awake in the late morning). The sad part is – with allowances being part and quarters being provided for them to educate, guide and lead, the jemaah is normally left unattended. Their shenanigans are widely known to the village folks and now, they seem to have reached the District’s Religious Department.

And that is why Z was transferred to my village’s mosque. He plays a role of whistleblower to the said department – willingly. His close connection to the powers-that-be in the state - in the process of his religious studies and responsibilities and thanks to his superb charms and manners – is put to a good use, keeping the duo on their toes. Apparently, this is not his first ‘assignment’ – he had been to others around the state too before with a string of success stories. After listening to his theatrical chattering – some thought he is being over the top but I admire his eagerness - I told him we should all call him Corruption Ambassador for the state.

I wish I stayed longer and spend a few evenings with him in Mak Itam’s kitchen, as he asked me twice when I would be going back. He gave a little sorrowful look when I told him I am going back on the following day. He was thinking he could share more with me more on what he is doing as others are ridiculing his good intentions. Like we all know, some people feel that undoing the wrongs is not meant for humans (Read: “Jangan jaga tepi kain orang”) and doing the rights is wrong (Sigh! How complicated we humans can be).

Z, for me, is a symbol of hope that we, ordinary people could play our proactive role in silencing our biggest culprit – corruption. He is doing it, even at the expense of getting transferred here and there, out of his free will, without rewards or recognition. He feels that he has a responsibility to mankind, generally, and to God Almighty, specifically.

He makes me realize the power of feelings, as aptly worded by the prolific Madam Maya Angelou, “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel”.

For me, we all have that urge to do something right inside us. It doesn’t matter how we do it and what would be the implications of us doing it because rights will only make things right.

But, we are just weak humans that subconsciously crave for recognition upon doing something good or right. Some need to be glorified as heroes and be compensated accordingly.

It's normal but I wish I could do it like Sergeant Mike Ranney, as posted earlier here, "In A Company of Heroes": -

“I cherish the memories of a question my grandson asked me the other day when he said, “Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?” Grandpa said “No… but I served in a company of heroes…”


p.s. Z is one great looking, strong lad but I feel safe with him because he is more in touch with his feminine side ( you guys would call him 'Sotong"). Sotong or not, he is a gem to me...

No comments: