Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Maktub - Part 2




As the Englishman left, Fatima arrived and filled her vessel with water.


"I came to tell you just one thing", the boy said. "I want you to be my wife. I love you".


The girl dropped the container, and the water spilled.


"I'm going to wait here for you every day. I have crossed the desert in search of a treasure that is somewhere near the Pyramids, and for me, the war seemed a curse, But not it's a blessing, because it brought me to you".


"The war is going to end someday", the girl said.


The boy looked around at the date palms. He reminded himself that he had been a shepherd, and that he could be a shepherd again. Fatima was more important than his treasure.


"The tribesmen are always in search of treasure", the girl said, as if she had guessed what he was thinking. "And the women of the desert are proud of their tribesmen".


She refilled her vessel and left.



*


The People went back to where they were living, and the boy went to meet with Fatima that afternoon. He told her about the morning's meeting. "The day after we met", Fatima said, "you told me that you loved me. The you taught me something of the universal language and the Soul of the World. Because of that, I have become a part of you".


The boy listened to the sound of her voice, and thought it to be more beautiful than the sound of the wind in the date palms.


"I have been waiting for you here at this oasis for a long time. I have forgotten about my past, about my traditions, and the way in which men of the desert expect women to behave. Ever since I was a child, I have dreamed that the desert would bring me a wonderful present. Now, my present has arrived, and it's you".


"You have told me about your dreams, about the old king and your treasure. And you've told me about omens. So now, I fear nothing, because it was those omens that brought you to me. And I am a part of your dream, a part of your Personal Legend, as you call it".


"That's why I want you to continue toward your goal. If you have to wait until the war is over, then wait. But if you have to go before then, go on in pursuit of your dream. The dunes are changed by the wind, but the desert never changes. That's the way it will be with our love for each other".


"Maktub", she said. "If I am really a part of your dream, you'll come back one day".
~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist, Page 96 - 97

No comments: