Sunday, February 17, 2008

Veer-Zaara

  • I stopped watching Hindi Movies after Primary 5 because (a) I was hardly at home (away at a boarding school, then U) and the movies were just too long (I'd rather bake cookies or slap a fresh paint on the wall), (b) Being the eldest, I wanted to be seen as a strong big sister to my siblings as the movies made me weep uncontrollably and i look horrible when i cried, and (c) Ish, I cannot stand seeing women being helpless and voiceless no matter what happened to them.

  • Yesterday, I caught "Veer-Zaraa" on TV3's Panggung Sabtu, unintentionally. This beautiful love story between Indian Squadron Leader Veer Pratap Singh (Shah Rukh Khan) and a girl from Pakistan, Zaara Haayat Khan (Preity Zinta) made me weep and this movie gives me goosebumps.

  • I know why it is so appealing to my senses subconciously. It is about love between 2 people from 2 different countries, religions, family background. It is about making sacrifices for your soulmate even it means you have to suffer in silence and you are going to be different from others' acceptable norms (getting married, having babies), remains unmarried because you cannot imagine getting married and have babies with someone you do not love wholeheartedly.

  • Besides, this movie is not about love between a man and a woman, it is also being compassion for others that goes beyond relationship by blood. This movie inspires me. The songs are poignant enough to pull string to your hearts.

  • Here is the my favourite - Tere Liye (For You)
  • i live for you with my lips sealed, i live for you swallowing all my tears
  • but in my heart the lamp of desire still glows, for you
  • life has brought back the book of the past
  • now we are surrounded by incomparable memories
  • unasked i have received so many answers
  • look what i desired and look what i got
  • how can i express how the world has wronged
  • i'm ordered to live life but without you
  • foolish are those that say you are a stranger to me
  • how much injustice people have done to us my love

No comments: