Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Terrible Side of Me


June started with a calendar full of meetings, social gatherings and hospital visits - my life currently epitomises this saying, "When it rains, it pours". They are mentally, emotionally and physically demanding (yes, meetings for me are filled with Q&A, think-outside-the box sessions and actions) but I love them all - that's the real me, being selflessly devoted to those matters in hand.

At the same time, such nerve-wrecking, mind-boggling, time-juggling, hand-clapping moments also bring out the terrible side of me. I could immerse myself completely in my 'Alice in Wonderland" world.

"Show me a man who cannot bother to do little things and I'll show you a man who cannot be trusted to do big things" ~ Lawrence Bell

In the office, I have my side of the window blinds all opened up - I love the brightness of the sunlight and the views I could enjoy every now and then. Perhaps, the sun has moved a significant degrees to the west lately as someone sitting next to me decided to close my blinds - without informing me first. That irks me so much (at least, she should have a courtesy to reason out her action as I see myself as being reasonable). Fine, I would respect her action but I thought she knows me well enough to mutually respect my idea of having the sunlight later in the afternoon. Still, she remains adamant. Last Friday, she announced to the whole world that she's going to nap after her lunch that she deems that give her all the right to switch off the lights. I normally work through lunch and that day, I desperately need to get my reports out to our counterparts in the other side of the world by end of the day - and it's Friday! As she sits next to me, I was struggling looking at the figures. in such dim-lit office .At first, I was rather accommodating but looking at her babbling with some colleagues instead of napping, I told her I need my blinds open to do my work, which she obliged by opening half of them. Since then, we have yet to exchange words. I hope she knows that I don't like that kind of attitude and if she thinks I need her support to be popular amongst colleagues (so I better be good to her), she's darn wrong!

Are right and wrong convertible terms, dependant upon popular opinion? ~William Lloyd Garrison

Why I get so mad with that kind of attitude is not because I am being fussy - too bad i am being principled. Some of us take people, things, responsibilities and rights for granted. As a result, we opine it is alright to cut corners, being self-centred, immature and irresponsible once in a while. Unfortunately, those little things make up for bigger problems we have now in our family and society.

It is better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for someone you are not

Yes, this is me - incredulously petty. So, be warned.

p.s. Danny Elfman's "The Little Things" - one of soundtracks from this cool movie "Wanted" with my fave Angelina Jolie and James McAvoy.

p.s. Updated on 7 June 2010, 10.30 am - Yeay! The communication line is back on track. "The friend is the man who knows all about you, and still likes you" ~ Elbert Hubbard, The Notebook, 1927

No comments: