Friday, November 6, 2009

A Few Good Men? We Need More Heroes



“Unhappy the land that is in need of heroes” ~ Bertolt Brecht


Mr Wenger told me, once, commentators on MT are nonsense lots.

After reading comments to Uncle Pete’s articles on MT 2 days ago, I have to agree with him and will in fact go further by saying that most Malaysian Men make a lot of noise like lalat and are lalang at heart, coward in act, shallow in thinking and such big fat whiners! No wonder our divorce rates are soaring. No wonder we have more broken families. These men have no balls!

When we women pursue our rights to be treated equally, some nonsensical men decided that they too have the right to scale down their role and responsibility as “Ketua Keluarga” to sleeping (sic), silent partners. These men even take up whining about everything – just for the sake of bragging how angry and disappointed they are (Duhhh) – BIG TIME.


“Heroes take journeys, confront dragons, and discover the treasure of their ture selves” ~ Carol Lynn Pearson


So, PR got to buckle up or we will continue to ’bash’ them up blue black. So, how about us? What are we doing to put this Ibu Pertiwi back in orderly system and manner? Aren’t we supposed to be the ‘eyes and ears’ for them? Aren’t we supposed to live a new ‘lifestyle’ now things should be done ethically – business and all? Why should we succumb to the old ‘lifestyle’? Why can’t we be our own heroes, be the catalyst of change?


“The heroes of the world community are not those who withdraw when difficulties ensue, not those who can envision neither the prospect of success nor the consequence of failure, but those who stand the heat of battle”

~ Hubert H. Humphrey


After the ‘sesi suaikenal’ 2 days ago, I asked Uncle Zorro how does his wife take all these ‘sesi suai kenal dan beramah mesra’ – aren’t she worried? Duh! What a stupid question I uttered, kan – who isn’t? He told me that his wife, a strong lady, gives her full support in everything he does.

Yes, you just have to read Uncle Zorro’s blog profile – his purpose to blog is so poignant – “Having fulfilled my obligations to my two kids, Patrina and Kevin. I dont want my three Bahamian grandsons, Bernard, Ryan and Patrick and whoever Kevin fathers to think that their grandpa didnt do enough to make this world a better place for them”. That would make anyone – in his/her right state of mind – to stand by him, come rain or shine.




As usual, I stumbled into things and people for reasons. What Uncle Zorro shared with me resonates with what I read yesterday morning about Lou Gehrig and his loving wife, Eleanor. Here’s his priceless farewell speech at Yankee Stadium more than 70 years ago: -

"Fans, for the past two weeks you have been reading about the bad break I got.

Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth. I have been in ballparks for seventeen years and have never received anything but kindness and encouragement from you fans.


Look at these grand men. Which of you wouldn’t consider it the highlight of his career just to associate with them for even one day? Sure, I’m lucky. Who wouldn’t consider it an honor to have known Jacob Ruppert? Also, the builder of baseball’s greatest empire, Ed Barrow? To have spent six years with that wonderful little fellow, Miller Huggins? Then to have spent the next nine years with that outstanding leader, that smart student of psychology, the best manager in baseball today, Joe McCarthy? Sure, I'm lucky.


When the New York Giants, a team you would give your right arm to beat, and vice versa, sends you a gift — that’s something. When everybody down to the groundskeepers and those boys in white coats remember you with trophies — that’s something.

When you have a wonderful mother-in-law who takes sides with you in squabbles with her own daughter — that's something. When you have a father and a mother who work all their lives so that you can have an education and build your body — it's a blessing.

When you have a wife who has been a tower of strength and shown more courage than you dreamed existed — that's the finest I know.


So I close in saying that I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for. Thank you".

You see, you can’t be a hero for all the money, status and power you have, for all the glamour and publicity you enjoy, for all the statesmen you know but you are a hero if you understand the degree of responsibility that comes with freedom. Yes, I got this from Uncle Bob Dylan.

Malaysia has a few good men but at this juncture of time, we need more heroes that feel responsible to mend this broken Ibu Pertiwi.

Malaysian men have a long, treacherous road to live up to what is required from them but I am blessed I know some of our heroes. Dear Uncle Zorro, you are one of them.

Will you be a hero to our Ibu Pertiwi, gentlemen?

p.s. I have to say my piece of mind on various posts made in reference to Uncle Zorro’s ‘sesi suai kenal’ last 2 days. Some men and women called him names but I wish I could ask those idiots – Kalau Uncle Zorro tak berani, saya nak panggil awak semua apa sebab awak semua sanggup bersekongkol dengan kezaliman hak asasi manusia, jenayah, maksiat dan rasuah semata mata nak hidup senang di bawah badan yang pukul canang satu kampung kata memperjuangkan hak agama dan bangsa? Cakap pasal bangsa dan agam. Jadi manusia pun tak lulus!

No comments: